Fairfax Corner Dental
Dentists located in Fairfax, VA
A tooth extraction might not be your favorite activity, but sometimes it’s necessary. Dr. Chang Yi and Dr. Negar Tehrani provide the best extraction experience possible with compassionate care and various sedation options. If you live in the Fairfax, Virginia area and need to schedule a tooth extraction, call Fairfax Corner Dental or click to book an appointment online.
Tooth Extraction Q & A
When is tooth extraction necessary?
The dental specialists at Fairfax Corner Dental make every effort to save your natural teeth, but sometimes extraction is the best option.
You may need a tooth extraction if:
- You have impacted wisdom teeth
- Your teeth are overcrowded
- Gum disease has destroyed your teeth
- Tooth decay has caused irreparable damage
- An infected tooth can’t be saved with a root canal
- You’ve had too much dental work on the same tooth
- You need surgery, and your teeth could be a source of infection
How does a tooth extraction work?
Before the extraction, your dentist at Fairfax Corner Dental asks you about your current and past health conditions and medications. He or she also performs an oral exam and orders X-rays to examine your teeth below the gumline.
Next, your dentist administers local or IV anesthesia, so you don’t feel any pain during the extraction. Then, he or she performs one of two types of extraction:
- Simple Extraction: The tooth has erupted above the gumline
- Surgical Extraction: The tooth is still below the gumline, necessitating an incision
With either extraction, your dentist uses an elevator tool to loosen the tooth and pulls it out with a pair of forceps. If your tooth is embedded in the jawbone, your dentist may have to cut it into pieces or remove part of the bone to remove it properly.
After the extraction, your dentist explains all your care and follow-up instructions. He or she also provides you with any necessary antibiotics and pain medication.
How can I replace my missing teeth?
If you need some of your necessary teeth pulled, you may wonder what your options are for filling in the gap. The providers at Fairfax Corner Dental offer the following in-house tooth replacement options:
- Dental Implants: a permanent artificial tooth and root
- Bridges: a prosthetic tooth and gum material affixed with crowns
- Partial Dentures: a removable appliance to replace a section of missing teeth
- Full Dentures: a removable appliance to replace all your teeth
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Dentures that snap into dental implants
For expert tooth extractions and natural-looking replacement options for missing teeth, call Fairfax Corner Dental or book an appointment online.
Oral Cancer Screeningmore info
Pediatric Dentistrymore info
Cosmetic Dentistrymore info
Porcelain Veneersmore info
Root Canalmore info
Dental Implantsmore info
Sedation Dentistrymore info
Emergency Dentistrymore info
Full Mouth Reconstructionmore info
Tooth Extractionmore info
Night Guard & Snore Guardmore info
Composite Fillings & Bondingmore info
Dental Crown & Bridgemore info
Dental Sleep Apnea Appliance & Snore Preventionmore info
Sports Guardmore info
TMJ & TMDmore info
Teeth Cleaning & Check-Upmore info
Full & Partial Denturesmore info
Zoom Teeth Whiteningmore info
Implant Supported Dentures (All-on-4®)more info